Salamalaikum beautiful, peace be upon you
Anxiety and stress, Is it something you are experiencing on regular basis?
Is it something affecting you or a member of your family?
Well lately with the Covid 19 and all these doubts and uncertainty. We had to face some crisis and anxiety kicked in added to stress.
Wether it is phobia, which can also give severe anxiety attack.
Social anxiety which can be quite detrimental on our social life and bring lots of stress.
Anxiety due to a traumatic event such as the loss of someone beloved to us. We all experience it or will experience stress and anxiety at some point, in our life.
There is obviously many different ways to treat it. But today I wanted to talk again about the power of our beautiful nature and how it can once again help us. By calming our whole system down and bring our mind and body to a state of calm and serenity.
So in this post we’ll see the 7 of the best essential oils for stress and anxiety such as:
Lavender, Jasmine, Chamomile Frankincense, Valerian, Ylang Ylang and peppermint oils and how they can help relieve the symptoms thanks to their great properties.
Aromatherapy is the practice of inhaling the scent of essential oils to improve our well-being. They work by stimulating the smell receptors in our nose, they can send messages to our nervous system.
What causes stress an Anxiety?
Here are some of the main triggers.
- All sort of Phobias
- Life styles factors.
- Body image issues.
- Low self esteem.
- Grief and loss
As we can see there are many factors that can cause anxiety.
What are the symptoms of anxiety?
- Sweaty hands
- Difficulty breathing
- Uncontrollable fear
- Impaired concentration
- Cold or chills
- Stomach ache
- Feeling like passing out
- For some people feeling of itchy skin or burning sensation.
- Shaking or trembling
- Difficulty sleeping
What essential are best for anxiety and stress?
- Is one of the best and most common essential oil used for sleep problems stress and anxiety.
- Found mostly in France and Italy
- Acts as an anxiolytic calming the brain nervous system down GABA
- Can also act as a mood-boosting.
- Quiets down the brain activity
- Great Anxiety reliever.
- Helps with sleep and restlessness.
- Has a very refreshing scent.
- Also, used as an aphrodisiac.
- Great to use for sleep.
- Calm the brain nervous system down known as GABA.
- Also know to help with relaxation.
- Menstrual cramps
- Flowers parts are used to make medicine.
- Most common oil used mostly as a sedative.
- Chamomile tea is great for sleep and so is the oil extracted from it.
- It is a great oil for calming our central or brain nervous system down.
- Helps with the symptoms of anxiety, depression and stress.
- Has great, soothing and calming properties.
- Usually found in France and Italy.
- Chamomile essential oils can have side effects and cause an allergic reaction. So be mindful when using it and always use essential oils mixed with Carrier oil.
As discussed in another post
- This oil has 2 main opposite effect
- boost the mood, so great for anxiety and for giving a boost of energy
- has also calming effect so great for sleep
- Contains relaxing and calming components bringing a feeling of peace
- Help reduce negative feelings
- Bring a sense of pure wellbeing and satisfaction.
5. Ylang Ylang
- Has a calming and an anti-depressant effect.
- Helps fight depression,
- Restores balance and calm
- Eases anxiety.
- Works well for treating anxiety attacks and rapid breathing, panic and shock.
- Works well as a sedative
- Induces a feeling of relaxation and well being
- Has soothing and Relaxing properties
- Valerian may help with depression by influencing the brain chemistry,
- It also reduces inflammation in the body.
- Relieves anxiety and stress by improving sleep.
But more research is required to confirm these findings.
7. Peppermint essential oil
One of my favourite. I love this oil and use it for anything really always have a bottle of it in my bag
- Great for so many things
- Calm nausea
- Great when feeling stressed before an exam or medical examination
- Great stress reliever
- Has refreshing and boosting properties
- Its refreshing effect boost the mood very quickly
- It also helps when feeling sad or anxious as it triggers the brain and boost the mood and gives a feeling of well being.
How to use them?
Simply massage few drops at the back of the neck, shoulders, decollete mixed with some carrier oil.
Add a few drops mixed with a carrier oil to your wrists and inhale deeply and slowly.
Note that lavender essential oil may be used on its own as it is a very mild essential oils but it is always advised to use it with a carrier oil in case of a rare allergy.
Other ways to use them:
They can be inhale diffused in the air using an aromatherapy diffuser. When using them for the 1st time, put only 1 oil at the time. Add a few drops to your diffuser and inhale slowly.
To relax the mind and the body then you can try using a combination of 2 oils. Lavender and jasmine go really well together.
Ylang Ylang goes also well with Frankincense.
Other Ways you can relieve anxiety.
- Deep and slow breathing.
- Paper bag in case of a panic attack or severe anxiety attack such as phobias or in case of social anxiety.
- Mindfulness and Meditation are 2 great ways to calm down our nervous system and bring stress and anxiety down.
- Regular exercise. We don’t say it enough but exercising regularly can really help with a lot of ailments.
Remember that essential shouldn’t be used undiluted or on their own. As a measure of precaution and while essential oils may be safe they can also have few side effects therefore pregnant, breastfeeding women and people taking prescriptions or medications should talk to their doctor before taking any natural remedies. In this section we are talking about essential oil which could potentially replace antibiotics remember never take any essential oils orally.
I hope you have enjoyed once again the numerous benefits of essential oils.
What other ways are you using to treat stress and anxiety? Are you also using essential oils? If so would love to hear which one.
Peace and blessings to you .
Amanee the founder of naturaleeyou.